Herman Kahler pottery jug with swirl detail, 1930s, Denmark
Born in Holland, Herman J. Kähler opened a small ceramics workshop in Næstved, Denmark in 1839. His son took over the workshop in 1875 and created a much broader ceramics range of which this vase would have been one.
As early as 1889, Kähler’s ceramics were revered at the World Exhibition in Paris, the same year the Eiffel Tower was built. They continue to be produced under the same name today.